Undergraduate FAQ
Is it possible for me to have double majors, and minors?

Yes. For more information, please refer to Program Structure.

Can I change major within or out of the School of Science?

Yes, students can change their major within or out of the School of Science as long as they have met the requirements of the major program they want to transfer to and passed the relevant selection process.

How does the School of Science curriculum accommodate the educational needs of students with different levels of subject / discipline knowledge and academic background?

The 4-year program we offer is specifically designed to accommodate such needs. There are different course choices and major-minor combinations suiting students’ backgrounds, interests and abilities.

What are the graduation requirements? How many credits do I have to complete?

To graduate, students must complete at least 120 credits by studying the University Common Cores, School requirements and Major Program requirements.

Can I shorten my study duration?

Yes, as long as you have completed 120 credits by studying the University Common Cores, School requirements and Major Program requirements; and fulfilled the graduation requirements of the relevant study program.

Does the School of Science provide any career training and internship opportunities to the students?

The School of Science provides students with an array of career training activities including one-on-one career consultation on exploring their career goals, mock interviews with HR experts from different industries, and firm visits. The School will also provide individualized services such as referral to partner companies to help students find internship experiences and graduate jobs.

I am passionate about science research. Are there any research opportunities for the undergraduate students?

HKUST provides undergraduate students with exciting research opportunities through a signature program called Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP). In Fall, Spring and Summer semesters, lists of UROP projects are open for student application. The qualified students work closely with faculty members on the research and scholarly activities, thereby develop insightful perspectives on their areas of interest and advance the frontiers of knowledge. Students are also most welcome to propose a project title to a faculty member if he or she agrees to do the supervision.

Successful completion of UROP courses may lead to stipend as encouragement, or credits to fulfill part of the program requirement. For UROP project papers/posters accepted for presentation at an academic conference, or accepted by international journal, various sponsorships will be conferred to the UROP students. Students who exhibit excellent research performance may also be nominated for award, in recognition of their contribution to research and innovation at HKUST.

During the studies I want to experience overseas learning and new culture. Are there any student exchange opportunities for the science students?

Currently, the School of Science has more than 90 exchange partner institutions covering regions including Australia, Europe, North America, Southeast Asia and Mainland China, etc. Students joining the exchange program will be offered opportunities to experience overseas learning and new cultures for an entire semester.

What are the career prospects?


(Graduate Employment Survey 2020, Career Center, HKUST)


The School of Science programs nurture the students to become scientists who can generate cutting edge knowledge for the betterment of mankind. The programs educate our students to be scientifically competent with the potential to engage in activities demanding scientific thinking, analysis and task execution, and to be scientifically competent in their future professions including research and development, education, manufacturing, logistics, and business and finance. 


Statistics of students pursuing further studies are not included in the above survey. Each year, about 20% of our science graduates pursue further studies in both local and overseas universities. These overseas universities include:

  • Boston University 

  • California Institute of Technology 

  • Columbia University 

  • Cornell University 

  • ETH Zurich 

  • Imperial College London 

  • Johns Hopkins University 

  • Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) 

  • McGill University 

  • National University of Singapore 

  • Northwestern University 

  • Peking University 

  • Stanford University 

  • Technical University of Munich 

  • The London School of Economics and Political Science 

  • The University of Edinburgh 

  • University College London (UCL) 

  • University of British Columbia 

  • University of California, Berkeley 

  • University of California, San Diego 

  • University of Cambridge 

  • University of Chicago 

  • University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 

  • University of Oxford 

  • University of Pennsylvania 

  • University of Toronto 

  • University of Warwick 

Is there any scholarship available for students?

HKUST offers a number of scholarships to support students in chasing their dreams. For newly admitted students, we award admissions scholarships to outstanding students on competitive merit basis. These awards may be one-off or renewable, full or partial tuition waivers. Applicants will be notified of the scholarship decision together with the admissions offer.

After begin studying at HKUST, students will have many other scholarship opportunities. These scholarships are to recognize the academic and non-academic achievement, and will require application and/or nomination. Around 19% of students received more than one scholarship.

For details, please refer to Fees and Scholarships, and the website of Scholarships and Financial Aid Office.

Undergraduate Admissions for 2022 Intake
Apply now online to the School of Science at HKUST