Postgraduate FAQ
What are the differences between research postgraduate programs & taught postgraduate programs?

MPhil and PhD programs are research postgraduate programs (RPG) which involve intense research work and preparation of a thesis under the guidance of a supervisor.

Taught postgraduate programs place more emphasis on coursework and are generally more career-oriented than RPG programs.

What is Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)? Am I eligible to apply?

HKPFS is an internationally recognized award aiming to draw the best PhD students around the globe to Hong Kong. Please visit here for more details.

You are welcome to apply if you are interested in pursuing PhD studies at HKUST. Please check the admission requirements here.

Am I required to take English Language Tests?

English proficiency is one of the University admission requirements for all postgraduate programs. You will need to take either TOEFL or IELTS (Academic Module), unless

  • You are a native English speaker, or

  • You obtained a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.

Visit here for the general test score requirements.

What should I do if my IELTS/ TOEFL (or other public examination) result is not yet available?
  • State your scheduled test dates in the online application.

  • Update the test record and upload the score report once the result is available.

  • The test score is an essential factor in assessing your application. You are highly recommended to take a relevant test and upload the score report as soon as possible.

Do I need a student visa/ entry permit?

Most non-local students are required to obtain the following for studying in Hong Kong:

  • student visa (if you are from an overseas country)

  • entry permit (if you are from Macao, Taiwan or Mainland China)

Please visit here for details.

I want to apply for a postgraduate program. What should I do?

Applicants should submit their applications via HKUST online admission system.


Step-by-step guideline for online application:

I am currently a final year undergraduate student, can I apply now?
  • Yes. Please first submit your latest transcript online for assessment.

  • Programs may extend conditional offers to selected applicants before the required qualifications are obtained.

  • If you receive a conditional offer, you are required to submit the official, final transcripts and degree certificates for verification when available.

Can I apply for more than one postgraduate program?
  • Yes. Applicants may submit more than one application. However, we see the advantage of staying focused and getting prepared accordingly.

  • You need to submit an application, pay application fee, upload supporting documents and invite referees for each program you apply.

Do I need to identify a potential supervisor before I apply for a research postgraduate program?

Ideally, you should explore if there is a match between HKUST research areas and your research interest before submitting your application. You can search for potential supervisors in our School via "Our People".

What documents do I need to submit for application?

Please visit here to find out what application documents are required for application.

When is the deadline of submitting application?

The application deadlines for individual programs vary, please visit here ("Application" tab of individual program page) for details.

When will I be notified of an admission offer?
  • Successful applicants will receive an email notification. Please log in to the online system to keep track of your application status.

  • Individual program offices will issue offers according to their own schedules.

  • Unsuccessful applicants will normally be notified of the outcome towards the end of the admission cycle. For instance, unsuccessful applicants who seek admission in Fall term will normally be notified in the summer before program commencement.

Postgraduate Admissions for 2024/25 Fall Term intakes
Apply now online to the School of Science at HKUST